Scotch Eggs with Spicy Sausage
- 2 pounds spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 8 medium eggs
- ½ cup grainy mustard
- Oil for frying
- Gently place the eggs in a large pan of simmering water and let them cook for six minutes. Peel and set aside.
- Divide the sausage evenly into eight balls.
- To form the sausage vessels, poke your thumb into the center of the ball and press the opening and the sides until they’re large enough to surround the peeled egg.
- Place the egg into the meat round and work the meat over it to close the hole.
- If the sausage gets sticky, wet your hands to smooth out any holes or bumps.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or pan until it reaches 375 degrees.
- Cook the eggs in two batches of four each for about 5-7 minutes.
- Drain. Serve the eggs hot, warm or cold with grainy mustard as a dip.