Bill O’Reilly is set to release the eighth book in his non-fiction Killing series on September 18. He co-wrote the book with Martin Dugard, a longtime collaborator with O’Reilly whose past work includes collaborations with author James Patterson.
The upcoming book, entitled Killing the SS: The Hunt for the Worst War Criminals in History, will be published by Henry Holt and Co. It tells the true story of Nazi war criminals on the run and the “men and women [who] scoured the world, tracking down the SS fugitives and bringing them to justice,” according to the official book description on Amazon.
The newest Killing book is scheduled to arrive about one year after the release of the previous book in the series, Killing England, which sold 489,000 copies. Killing the SS is O’Reilly’s second book release since Fox News dismissed him in April 2017 amongst multiple sexual misconduct allegations.
The Killing series is based on the “killing” of historical figures and regimes, and includes the following titles, most of which have sold more than a million copies each:
- Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever
- Killing Kennedy: The End of Camelot
- Killing Jesus: A History
- Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II’s Most Audacious General
- Killing Reagan: The Violent Assault that Changed a Presidency
- Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan
- Killing England: The Brutal Struggle for American Independence
O’Reilly has written and co-written 26 books. His first book to reach the top of The New York Times’ Best Seller list was The O’Reilly Factor: The Good, the Bad, and the Completely Ridiculous in American Life, which was released in 2000.
A longtime local reporter in Boston, Dallas, Denver, New York and Portland, O’Reilly first came to national fame with his stint on Inside Edition from 1989 to 1995. After earning a master’s degree in public administration at Harvard, O’Reilly was hired by Fox News Channel to host The O’Reilly Factor, which quickly became America’s most watched cable news program. It aired from 1996 to 2017 until the sexual harassment scandal erupted.
The New York Times reported that nearly $15 million had been spent on settlements in five sexual harassment cases that involved O’Reilly. There was also a sixth harassment lawsuit that the Times reported on: a $32 million settlement paid to a former Fox News analyst because of an alleged “non-consensual” relationship with O’Reilly.
Before the scandal was unveiled, The O’Reilly Factor averaged a total of more than 3.5 million viewers, with nearly 650,000 of them falling into the highly coveted advertising demographic age 25 to 54. The show’s major advertisers included Mercedes Benz, Lexus, BMW, Angie’s List and Allstate, just to name a few.
Crisis expert Eden Gillott Bowe told Forbes that advertisers who aligned themselves with O’Reilly’s show were trying to distance themselves to protect their reputations, adding that any alignments could be misunderstood that companies were condoning O’Reilly’s behavior. “They don’t want to suffer from guilt by association,” Gillott Bowe said.
O’Reilly responded to the accusations in a statement explaining that he was vulnerable to lawsuits from people who wanted settlements to prevent negative publicity, adding that during his two decade stint at Fox News, “No one has ever filed a complaint about me with the Human Resources Department, even on the anonymous hotline.”